Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday: My Personal Boycott

by Sandy Sand

I'm not stepping into one store that opens before 7 a.m.

Not only am I NOT participating in Black Friday, I'm boycotting every store that opens before 7 a.m.

It's outrageous, ridiculous, a show of extreme greed on the part of retailers and a disservice to their employees, who after I asked a few of them at several stores, said they stand around until seven before the first customer comes in.

I was up at my usual anytime between 02:30 and 04:00, and right now it's 3:29 a.m.. I've made coffee, put away a few dishes from the dishwasher while waiting for the coffee water to boil, checked my email and deleted the ads from Barnes and Noble and my credit union, read the letters to the editor and editorials, made one comment, and skimmed the headlines.

No way, no how would I want to be getting dressed to go to work if I had a work to go to, and I'm sure there isn't one weary employee who's recovering from yesterday's over indulging in either preparation or eating who wants to either.

My boycott extends to retailers who stay open past 9 p.m., too.

Maybe, just maybe they'd make every bit as much money if they were open for business during sane, normal hours. People would find time to shop; they'd just do their shopping squinched together with a few more people.

Merchant greed runs rampant during the holiday season, with a few staying open 24-hours a day.

'Tis supposed to be the season of giving and good will towards one's fellow man.

Let's begin with retail stores by extending their employees a little good will and giving them normal working hours so they, too, can spend more time with their families.

6 comments:

PROFESSOR EMERITUS PETER BAGNOLO said...

Right on, Sandy.

PROFESSOR EMERITUS PETER BAGNOLO said...

Jeepers, I was able to get into my account for a change!

Sandscripts said...

Thank heaven for small favors, PB!

Sandscripts said...

P.S. It took tries for me to remember my user name and pass. This world's gettin' too complicated.

Kat said...

Kohl's, a department store here, ran commercials saying they'd be open at 4 a.m. Target opned at 6. Normally it's 10.

Both promised "Great Deals!"

I don't remember this happening previous years. It's insane.

It will be interesting to see how much retail sales are down this year from past years. I can't believe people are still willing to put x-mas presents on credit cards.

Sandscripts said...

Kohl's is open here at 4 a.m., too. Target at six. Our
Tartets open normally at seven or eight, unless they've changed from a few years ago.

I, too, am interested to see what their final holiday sales totals will be.

Not only is it crazy to think that people will put this
Christmas on plastic, but a recent news story said that many people haven't paid off last year's Christmas debt.

Pitiful and dumb. I have one card that I use regularly, and they hate me, because I've paid off the balance every month since I painfully got out from under credit card debt.

A lesson well learned!